Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What's not to love about vinegar?

Know what you get when you go to your parents' house and they have lots of garden-fresh veggies? A to-go bag. Or in my case, two to-go bags. We call it "grocery shopping in the cabinets." It's a good system for everybody. Especially my pocketbook.

The only items in my grocery bags that I didn't have an immediate use for was the peppers. What can I say, I'm just not a pepper eater. Or a pickled-pepper eater for that matter. In fact, the only people who I know that eat peppers whole are my papaw and my daddy. On the other hand, I know lots of people who like pepper sauce. You know, peppers and vinegar. In a jar. Sitting on your nanny's table. I decided to use my new found summer bounty to make pepper sauce for years to come. To make it pretty and colorful, I went to Target and bought a habenaro and a chili pepper. Orange and red, respectively. After that, I just needed some white vinegar and a jar with a band and lid. Normally, the jar is smaller. Like a pint. I didn't have a pint. So I used what I had.




After washing those pretty peppers, I cut the tops off. Muahhahaha. That was supposed to sound evil. At least it did in my head.



Then, put your peppers in a jar and make it look somewhat asthetically appealing. I added a couple cloves of garlic for fun. Top it off with vinegar and put the lid on. Stick the jar in a cool, dark place until you get ready for it. It basically lasts forever.



What to use the sauce on when it is done? I don't really know. Daddy pours it on cornbread, peas, and other stuff that I can't remember. You could put it on whatever you want. Just not dessert. That would be less than tasty.






1 comment:

  1. I love peppers, but I've never tried pepper sauce...but I agree with your dad. That sounds yummy on cornbread...and now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete