Thursday, July 26, 2012

Italy: Day 8, Part 2

After a delicious lunch of artery-clogging beef and grease, we got some strawberries and headed to catch the waterbus. We knew going in to Italy that we wanted to go to the islands of Murano and Burano if at all possible while we were in Venice. As Venice didn't have a whole bunch of appeal for us, but did have a whole bunch of people, we decided that we'd venture out to the outer islands around Venice and go exploring. Two of those most famous islands are Murano, which is known for its glass-blowing, and Burano, which is known for handmade lace.

We caught the waterbus and sat back to enjoy a thirty minute boat ride out to the first island. When we got to Murano, we really didn't know where to go or what to do, so we just went walking with no clear direction. We came across lots of little glass shops with pretty things, but nothing really that caught my eye. I wanted to find something for my mother. She loves glass things - particularly glass miniatures.  Before long, we stumbled across a glass blowing demonstration: 




That orange blob eventually became a horse that the sculptor promptly shattered. On purpose. I felt it keenly. In fact, I still tear up a bit at the thought of the destruction of such a beautiful thing. Alas, so it goes. We ended up finding Mom a glass flower. It wasn't a miniature, but I thought it was beautiful. It even made it all the way back to Mangham without breaking. Score one for proper packaging.

Once we were finished scoping out Murano, we caught another boat to go to Burano. Burano is only about 50 acres. Burano is known for lace, like I said above. I, being an old woman, adore lace so I was incredibly excited about this island. What I wasn't expecting was the apparent extreme poverty on the island, but also the absolute charm.  We walked in little lace shops and I oohed and ahhed over everything from baby bonnets to tablecloths to little animals. We ended up buying a Venetian mask made of lace and a butterfly. Both are beautiful and so delicate. We bought those things from the lady who made them. In fact, when we went into her shop, she was sitting in a rocking chair just a knitting away. She did not speak English though, but I think she could tell that I was enraptured with her creations by the look of amazement on my face. I hope so anyway.

After seeing the lace shops, we walked around the island. It isn't very big, but is charming. Oh, and we ate a cannoli for one euro and then found one euro on the ground. So basically, we got a free cannoli. Win!  Here are some pictures of the island that I love the most:







 


I know, kind of makes you think of how Jamaica would look if I had been allowed to create Jamaica. If I ever live on a beach, I want my house to be turquoise. Or purple. Or coral. 

Next up, dinner in the oldest restaurant in Venice, a boat-ride at sunset, and the train back to the hotel.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the different color houses (buildings?). So neat!!

    And I love that you say "waterbus." That just is so cool to me.

    ReplyDelete