Thursday, July 25, 2013

Let's talk about spelling.

I'm awful at spelling. Not as awful as my brother, Jeffrey, but awful. Because I'm in a list making mood, here's a short list of words that trouble me.

1. definetely.  Is that spelled right? Nope. It should be definitely.  Apparently I like to define-it-lee. Which is fine by me.

2. refrigerator. Op! I spelled that right on the first try. Normally, I add a 'd' in there for fun.

3. diesel. One would think that a girl who drives an Impala needn't worry about how to spell that word. But one would be wrong. I'm a trucking defense attorney. I need to know how to spell 'diesel' without waiting for the squiggly red line to correct me.

4. surprise. Nope, I don't pronounce the first 'r' either, but it's in there. Or so Webster's tells me.

5. september. I DO know how to spell this word, but my fingers don't. My fingers add a pesky 'n' where there should not be one. It's annoying.

Um, I'm kind of tired of listing my spelling failures so I am going to stop.

Just know that when I misspell words, it isn't for lack of knowledge that I have a problem. It was my lack of caring about spelling in grade school. Please don't ask me to see my handwriting. I missed that lesson in school too.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto on the bad spelling. I'm the worst. I thought cirrhosis started with an S. Yep...

    Also, I have trouble spelling restaurant. All the time. I have to think about it hard to spell it correctly.

    I think another reason I'm a bad speller is because I make up words that I think are correct. Or I mispronounce words without knowing it. For example: Is it comfty or comfy?

    Hint (for me) -- Spell check says it's the latter.

    ReplyDelete