Thursday, July 14, 2016

Washington D.C. - Space, Tea, and Mr. Jefferson (Day 4)

Sunday morning, I went back to the Air and Space Museum to see all the things that I didn't get to see the night before. Oh my gracious, it was packed. Packed, packed, packed. I was also pretty sick by that point (like sore throat, coughing, headache, it was awful) and had no voice so I really just wanted to take a nap. I didn't want to miss out on things more so I suffered through it and warned people away from me by coughing without covering my mouth.  To get away from the crowds, I bought a ticket without using words for a video in the planetarium. I wanted to see an IMAX but missed it by an hour because my watch was still on Louisiana time. Instead, I experienced about thirty minutes of Whoopi Goldberg explaining star formation to me before I had to leave because I was coughing like Edgar Allen Poe's child bride. 

After the Air and Space fiasco, I went back to the hotel and took a nap. I had to rest. BECAUSE... We had reservations for tea at the Willard. We were serenaded by a harpist as we ate and drank our way through scones, orange scented salmon mousse, and cheesecake parfaits. Oh my goodness. Matt had never had high tea before but I think he is a convert. He was the only male in the place but he didn't care one bit. 








After tea, we went back to the hotel to change into more comfortable clothes (we ate a lot!) and headed back out to the Jefferson Memorial which was a pretty far piece from the other monuments which weren't that far from us.  Just as we rushed to get to Lincoln by sunrise, we rushed to get to Jefferson before the sun went down.


This picture is a lie. We look close to it, we weren't. It took forever to get there. In fact, we are still trying to get there now, four months out.


We finally made it. I didn't expect to get to go to the Jefferson Memorial so I didn't do any research on it. I had no expectations.

My favorite part?

Facetiming with Thomas on the steps as the sun went down.
He was happy to see us, but mad that we weren't there. He cried. I cried. People stared.


Then we went to a burger place and then back to the hotel to pack up and sleep.

The next day, we flew home! But our little boy wasn't at home when we got there. Seriously.

He was at school. His nana had him for four days and needed a break, so she took him to school for the day. He got home about ten minutes after we got there. And baby boy couldn't wait to see his daddy. What you see here is Thomas kissing Matt through the car window. Window rolled up, of course.


Thomas didn't really care that I was home, but man, I was so glad to see him. Then I went to the doctor. 

Yay! D.C. is finished. Now to catch up on the four months that have elapsed since we went and I started writing this series.... 



1 comment:

  1. We had tea at the Peabody one time, and it was so much fun! So glad y'all got to do that in DC too -- and that you had such a great reunion with Thomas!

    ReplyDelete