Friday, August 4, 2017

Sabbatical plans

I've been asked a dozen times about how I'm going to fill my time during my sabbatical from work and then once Thomas goes back to school every. single. day. instead of just three days a week.

The answer: easily.

Before T goes back to school, we're going to enjoy the heck out of each other. I'm going to play forts and monsters and go swimming and all the things that three-year olds like to do. And I'm going to do them without guilt. I'm going to play and swing and run around without thinking about all that I've left undone and if I'm making my boss mad or if I'm going to bill enough hours to pay the rent this month.  I'm tired of the worry. I'm tired of being distracted. I'm tired of telling Thomas that I can't play yet because I need to work. For the next six weeks, I'm going to be a wife* and mommy and that's all I need to be.

Once he goes back to school and by sabbatical ends, I'm going back to work part-time. It isn't a forever plan, but a 'right now plan.' (My boss and I have a symbiotic relationship - we both do well when we work together. Once it doesn't 'work' we'll end our relationship. It's perfect.) I will do my work before Thomas wakes up and while he's in school. I'm NOT going to work during the day when he's mine. I'm going to focus on him and his daddy (and his big sister, of course). I'm also going to do projects that I've been putting off - Thomas's baby book, organizing my office, unpacking the rest of the boxes, designing the rooms in our house, exercising!, cooking new things, reading (every book ever), writing (blogging more!!), cleaning (I really do enjoy it), grocery shopping alone, drinking a second cup of coffee, soaking in the silence so that I can recharge and reset for the end of the day.

I love my job and I love having the intellectual challenge of being an attorney. I don't love being pulled in a million directions and performing subpar in all of my roles. I've been ready for a new season for awhile now and it is finally here.

It couldn't have come at a better time.

*More mommy than wife until Matt gets home...

No comments:

Post a Comment