Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Adjustments

I'm sure that the few people who regularly read my blog know that on the Saturday before last, my beau and I got married. Proof:









Yep, that's us. Looking all kinds of spiffy. A couple of days after THE big day, we left for our honeymoon (had a blast, more later). After that amazing trip, we made it back to his home, now our home, to begin our life together. Though we have only been here for two days, we've already had to make several adjustments. For example:






1. If we hear a creaking noise, chances are that it isn't an intruder - just one of us. What? Well, neither of us have had roommates for quite awhile and had gotten used to living alone. Now that there is always someone (or something, hello puppy) in the house, we've had to learn to be less jumpy.






2. Two people make more of a mess than just one person. True story. We've gone through two trash bags in two days. The washing machine has been going non-stop and the dishwasher is always full.






3. Merging two households into one (small) house is frustrating.






4. Matt is especially attached to weird things. It took us thirty minutes to "decide" to eliminate some of our plastic kitchen storage (and by "decide" I mean that it took me thirty minutes to talk him into letting me get rid of them and then he insisted that we go through each piece separately and talk about it). Seriously. I mean, how many leftovers containers does one need? Not as many as we had. I should have take pictures. It was crazy. Speaking of crazy, Matt graduated from high school in 2002. Yesterday he allowed me to toss his prom glasses. Yesterday - nearly ten years later. He refuses to rid himself of one particular bowl. He says it is the perfect size for cereal. I tell him that I want our dishes to match. He's still holding out, but I'm going to keep wearing him down.






5. Studying for the bar while trying to merge those two households and the gifts that we have received is nearly impossible. Something has got to give. For now, it is the house. It may change tomorrow. I am having trouble coping with the huge mess that is our house.






6. I can't just have cereal for supper anymore. He can't just eat a can of chili.






7. His dog, Giselle, knows that I am going to usurp her and she is doing all that she can to prevent it. Example, yesterday we all went for a walk. She would only walk by Matt's side. Cute right? No. Not cute at all. Specifically, she would only walk on the side that I was walking on. If I changed sides, she would too. End result, I was forced about three steps behind the two of them. Like an outcast.






8. I'm a pusher. I think I already knew that, but now it is for certain. Poor Matt doesn't stand a chance. Nor does his Phil Mickelson shrine on top of the dresser.






9. Matt watches odd things on television that I didn't know about before we got married. American Choppers. Really? No thank you.






10. Being able to see each other (basically) any time we want is better than I imagined. I am so excited about today. And tomorrow. And the next day. Things are only going to get better.









Now, it is back to the bar. That's studying for the bar, not a drinking bar. It's far too early in the morning for that nonsense.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, you crack me up. And I am so sorry I didn't call you back the night before last. I'm already tired of dealing with house and houses. And, yes, two people DEFINITELY make about 3x more of a mess than just one individual. I don't know how that happens, but it does.

    ReplyDelete