Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Italy: Day 3, Part 2


        It's about 3:00 in Roman time and after lunch and seeing ol' Trajan we decided that a sweet treat was in order. You know what I'm talking about. Gelato. Our guide told us that the best gelato in Rome was hidden away, but worth it. After lots of walking and looking and meeting up with some other people from our group that we convinced to get gelato, we finally found the place. The gelateria, whatever it is called, was packed. I mean, wall to wall. I decided to let Matt handle everything and I just stood out of the way trying not to trampled. He paid for our treats then elbowed his way to the counter. For me, he got caramel and chocolate. He got champagne and lemon. My caramel was fabulous - as was his champagne. As I write this, three days and lots of gelato later, the caramel from that little Roman place has been the best so far (and now that I'm back with even more gelato tastings, it was the best of the trip). Hands down.

        After the gelato, we went back to the Trevi Fountain. The sunlight made it easier to see all the details on the fountain. It also made it harder to close to the water's edge. Supposedly, throwing a coin in the fountain will facing away from it and throwing with your right hand over your left will ensure that the tosser comes back to Rome. We also heard that throwing a coin in would give you good luck, as well as a spouse. I'm not sure that I want to go back to Rome and I know that I already have great luck because I am married to my spouse, but hey, when in Rome....


The left side of the fountain.
The 34.52 million other people wanting to toss in their coins.
     After seeing the fountain again, we wanted to visit Pantheon. This time, in the daylight.


Walking into the Pantheon. Hordes and hordes of people.


Right up into the oculus

The single drain for when it rains. Some people say that rain doesn't fall into the Pantheon even with a hole in the roof. Those people lie.


One little side of the Pantheon. It was hard to find an area without people. I'm telling you, that church was full to bursting. This temple/church/ancient relic has been in continuous use since it was built. Before Christ. I know. It's old.














          After the Pantheon, we trekked to the Spanish Steps to see them again in the daylight. You can really see the flowers (and the people) better in the daylight. (Scroll down to see my night pictures. Quite a difference.).





No self-portrait this time!!
   We had hoped that we didn't have to climb those incredibly steeps to go to our next destination, but we did. After climbing down for part of the way up and walking for a bit. It was hard (looks can be deceiving), but at least the flowers made it pretty!


     After the Spanish Steps, we got lost. I know, you aren't surprised. But it didn't take us long to find our way, just about an extra mile of walking. We were both pretty tired by that point but really wanted to see the crypts of the monks so we trudged on...


And that's all for Part 2! But here's a sneak peak for Part 3! 


Yep, it's little on purpose. I'll make it super big for Part 3.

















1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you used a "When in Rome" joke. Well done.

    Geez, could there BE any more people near that fountain?? It's not like you see in the movies -- then again, neither was that famous ice skating rink (oh, memory, thou art heartless) in New York. But the fountain was still beautiful, and I'm glad you got to throw a coin in eventually.

    ReplyDelete