Monday, August 10, 2015

A Trip to the Farmers' Market

One of my favorite things about living in a city is the farmer's market. Shreveport has one. Baton Rouge has one. Mangham does not. One never knows what all one will see or hear or smell at a farmer's market. Baton Rouge's is nice, but Shreveport's is bigger with more variety. Baton Rouge has crepes; Shreveport has gourmet popsicles.  Much earlier in the summer, the boys and I loaded up and headed downtown to BR's market. Last time I was there was in 2013 and I was doing everything I could to keep from tossing my cookies. (Thought that the constant complaints of morning sickness were over, did you? You were wrong. No, I'm not pregnant again. I was scarred by the morning sickness and am a bit gun shy now.) This time was much better in that there was no nausea (and no vomiting!!) and Thomas was with us in person! 

We saw the most beautiful hydrangeas and herbs when we walked through the entrance. I swear, they try to get all your money on beautiful plants before you even get to the food! 






And then the food started! The food! Glorious food! Truly a rainbow of produce. It wasn't Venice, but it was mesmerizing.




I have a slight obsession with honey. I don't love eating honey, but I love having it and tasting it. I love the idea of honey and bees (not actual bees, I don't want to see a bee at all. Ever.). And honeycombs. And cute little bear containers of honey. We picked up some honey with hints of blueberry. I haven't opened it since the day we bought it two months ago. But I love that I have it.



Something we did buy and use was duck eggs. The thought of them kind of grosses me out right this second, but they were really neat. See those blue and white ones? Those are the ducks. They are HUGE. And very yolky. We used most of a dozen before they went bad. It was a one-and-done kind of purchase, but I am glad we gave them a try.

There were also artisans at the farmer's market which makes NO sense to me, but whatev. I doubt we'll be back this summer because it gets hotter than blue blazes before the sun even comes up, but it was fun before the heat came. I'm sure we'll go back before we leave ol' BR, but NOT in August. Gracious alive. 

1 comment:

  1. I have a honey obsession too -- and really don't like eating it (at least not plain). There's an Apiaries place in Ruston -- he makes such good honey. Also, our farmer's market just ended until October!! I'm so sad! Now where am I going to get my customary Saturday breakfast of homemade muffins and iced coffee???

    BTW -- love the quick updates. ;-) You doing good!!

    ReplyDelete