Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Letters for Thomas - B

Guess what! Since my last Letter post, Thomas no longer needs an hour of hand holding to get to sleep! He now naps once a day and that seems to make a huge difference in his night sleeping. He's adjusted to it like a champ and really, so have I! Not to worry, I still already have his alphabet.

On to B!

Brave - I'm not talking red-headed Disney character Brave, I want this little boy to be courageous. I pray that Thomas has the courage it takes to wake up every day and make it better than the day before, to stand up for himself and those that can't stand up for themselves, to speak up but not show out. Bravery and courage seem to be the same, but they aren't. One can't be brave without courage and one can't have courage without being brave. I want Thomas to be equipped with both and use them. Hopefully, he'll use them in a productive manner and not to jump off the roof because he got double-dog dared...

Bold - I don't want Thomas to fade into the background. I want him to stand out because he isn't afraid to put himself on the line. I know that boldness will get him into trouble just as much as bravery, and perhaps for less just reasons, but man, I'll take the bad with the good on this trait. Let's just hope he didn't inherit my amazing ability to be sarcastic and a smart aleck in the worst situations...

A Believer - I want Thomas to believe. To believe in God, himself, his family, the power of hope and prayer, that he has a purpose, and that he can be anything he wants to be. (Ahem, while still being how God made him. Is it too soon for Bruce/Caitlin Jenner references?) What's that saying, "he believed he could, so he did," is that it? That's what I want. I want him to believe that he can do anything and then set out to do it. I also want him to believe in hard work, loyalty, patience, and generosity.

I know that I've got quite high hopes for this little boy of mine. I'm a bit of an overestimator when it comes to what I can accomplish in teaching Thomas. But man, oh man, what if I succeed?

1 comment:

  1. That last one -- every day, man. Every day, that's my prayer.

    ReplyDelete