Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oh Autumn, my old friend.

Guess what guys. Today is October 12. Yep, twenty days past the first day of Fall 2010 (for you law students, that marks September 22 as the date - see, I'm considerate like that, I know that not all of us have an aptitude for mathematics) and it is a cool 85 degrees outside. Please note, 85 degrees is not cool. Heck, it isn't even all that comfortable out there except in the shade. I know, that is just how Louisiana is around now. I know that and I have accepted it. Personally, I like to wear flip flops for as long as possible. However, I also like Autumn. Who doesn't?


Nobody.


Everyone likes Fall. Football. Short, nippy wind. Leaves crunching on the ground, flying through the air. Hot beverages like hot chocolate, hot tea, and apple cider. Yum. Chili. Gumbo. Jeans. Cardigans.

Oh but wait. Not all of those things fit with Fall. It is 85 stinking degrees outside. Jeans are too hot. Cardigans are only useful indoors, and the only good hot drink is one with ice in it.

Know what can make everything better? I do. I bought one the other day. It is a..... candle.






That's right. A candle. The name? Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin. The place? Bath and Body Works. The cost? $10 each when you buy two. Sixty hours of happiness? Priceless.

Turned off by the element of pumpkin? Me too. I hate, excuse me, I seriously dislike pumpkins. Scratch that. I seriously dislike pumpkins that smell like pumpkins. I seriously dislike the taste of pumpkins. I seriously dislike the ickiness that is inside a pumpkin. However, the excellent thing about this pumpkin candle is that the only way it resembles a pumpkin is by the picture on the front and the toasty orange color of the wax. Instead, think of cinnamon and apple cider simmering on the stove, perfuming the air with rich tendrils of Autumn. Oddly enough, BBW offers an apple cider candle, but isn't as fragrant as this candle.

So if you are longing for a change of season, go out and buy one (or two) of these candles. When you get home, lower the temperature on your thermostat, light the candle, make some hot chocolate, get a blanket, and curl up with a book (law students, preferably a Successions treatise). You'll be in Heaven*. Well, not really, but you'll be pretty darn close to Heaven. And it only costs you $20**.

* denotes that the Heaven indicated in this blog is unrelated to the adolescent game commonly called "seven minutes in Heaven" and played at boy/girl parties. Instead, the indicated Heaven refers to a Biblical place that is entered into upon death (unless you're Catholic, then it may be awhile).

** denotes the price of the purchase of TWO of the large candles for sale at Bath and Body Works. The purchase of ONE such candle can be made for $19.50. Neither price includes local or state taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment